The PUB
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Want to move in Scotland

+12
Blackwoodpiper
PaulO
Robbie.Crow
Glyn_Mo
bob
Piping Connections
MurdoMac
John MacDonald
Curt
REDNECK
Veteran Piper
crackedpipes
16 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Want to move in Scotland - Page 3 Empty Re: Want to move in Scotland

Post  Veteran Piper Sun 29 Mar 2009, 11:50 pm

Bill Urquhart wrote:We're not city people, though, and would look to move to a Highland area with a climate similar to our home here in Alaska.

I'm so done with big cities and gangs, Portree would be a nice change!
Veteran Piper
Veteran Piper
Admin

Male Number of posts : 7221
Years experience : 40
Clever Quote : Practice till it hurts!
Registration date : 2008-02-11

http://californiabagpipes.bravehost.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Bill Urquhart Mon 30 Mar 2009, 5:29 pm

I hear ya, John. I lived in the middle of couple of high-crime cities (New Orleans and Washington DC) when I was a single young buck, and it was fine for me at the time, but I'm glad to be back in the country now. Now that I'm a married young buck thumb with small kids at home, no thanks, no city for me.

Bill Urquhart

Male Number of posts : 235
Clever Quote : Mean well, Speak well, and Do well
Registration date : 2008-07-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Mini-Piper Tue 24 Nov 2009, 4:39 pm

Bill Urquhart wrote:When my kids are a bit older (they are almost 4 and 2, respectively, and my wife is pregnant with our third), my wife and I hope to bring our family to Scotland for maybe a year or so to work (perhaps as part of a teacher exchange) and have the kids go to school there, maybe when they are ages 12, 10, and 8 or so. We're not city people, though, and would look to move to a Highland area with a climate similar to our home here in Alaska.

Crackedpiper, isn't Beaulieu a beautiful place (pun intended)? I went through in 1992 and again in 2004, and found it a welcoming village both times. What draws you to the city, rather than the countryside? I wouldn't mind living outside of a city, say Inverness, which might have more opportunities, so long as we could retreat a few miles away when it's time to head home for the evening/weekend. I believe Inverness has been one of the fastest-growing cities in Scotland over the past 10 years or so; not sure how it's doing in this economic situation, but there sure was a lot of growth in between the twelve years between my visits.

I live 10 miles away from the Invershnecky (local slang name, usually used as a playful tease to the accent of the locals, lol) and it's a nice city. No idea why you would think the climate is similar to alaska though. It's either normal weather (no sun, just cloud and usually about 8-10 degrees celsius) or rain. Nothing else. No snow whatsoever. If it ever snows, it melts in the air, or if you're lucky enough, it will hit the ground and melt instantly. It's still a great place to live, but I agree, for a Scottish CITY I've found that foreigners aren't expecting it and get a pretty massive culture shock. Although everyone is generally friendly, during the night-times, groups tend to hang around near bus-stops and things like that. Apparently, the very inner-city neighbourhoods are just chock-full of sociopaths (the inverness high school janitor burned the gym and got arrested), but other than that it's fine. I would only reccommend Scottish city life for a Scottish local, unless you are particularly looking for a massive culture shock. Yeah, just outside the city would be perfect for you.

Mini-Piper

Male Number of posts : 32
Years experience : 8
Clever Quote : 'I don't care if that's the British legion way, dude.'
Registration date : 2009-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Bill Urquhart Wed 25 Nov 2009, 3:34 am

Thanks, Mini. I say it's similar because where I live, it's cloudy, rainy, and 5-10 celsius most of the year. You have to remember that Alaska is a huge area and it has many types climate and terrain. We're covered in coniferous forests and the hills, mountains, and valleys go right into the sea. We do sometimes get a cold winter or a hot summer, but we're known for our rain; at more than 160 inches (that's 406cm) of rain per year, we're one of the wettest cities in the world. For the Highlands, there was snow on the ground off-and-on for most of the month that I was there in 1992-1993. My part of Alaska does get more snow than most of the Highlands, but overall the climate is comparable.

Bill Urquhart

Back to top Go down

Post  Mini-Piper Thu 26 Nov 2009, 12:36 pm

Bill Urquhart wrote:Thanks, Mini. I say it's similar because where I live, it's cloudy, rainy, and 5-10 celsius most of the year. You have to remember that Alaska is a huge area and it has many types climate and terrain. We're covered in coniferous forests and the hills, mountains, and valleys go right into the sea. We do sometimes get a cold winter or a hot summer, but we're known for our rain; at more than 160 inches (that's 406cm) of rain per year, we're one of the wettest cities in the world. For the Highlands, there was snow on the ground off-and-on for most of the month that I was there in 1992-1993. My part of Alaska does get more snow than most of the Highlands, but overall the climate is comparable.

Then, welcome aboard, dude. Want to move in Scotland - Page 3 Icon_biggrin

Mini-Piper

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt Fri 27 Nov 2009, 9:45 am

crackedpipes wrote:Okay, this is not for tomorow Rolling Eyes , but my idea is to leave France with my clan and make my place in Scotland (I prefer Edinburgh); running my own business like a B & B with a restaurant or a pub pint

Too cold and rainy. cheers

Curt
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Male Number of posts : 3508
Years experience : 15+
Clever Quote : .
Registration date : 2008-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Veteran Piper Sun 29 Nov 2009, 8:59 am

Curt wrote:
crackedpipes wrote:Okay, this is not for tomorow Rolling Eyes , but my idea is to leave France with my clan and make my place in Scotland (I prefer Edinburgh); running my own business like a B & B with a restaurant or a pub pint

Too cold and rainy. cheers

It's not as much rain as I thought it was going to be here in Belfast, but the weather is at least suitable for a great night life anyway! What I hate is the bitter cold in Toronto and endless snow storms until almost May. The summer goes way to quick and you're back into the winter.
Veteran Piper
Veteran Piper
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MurdoMac Sun 29 Nov 2009, 6:08 pm

I've only been to Toronto in the summer and it was bloody humid. Really horrible weather, like being a sauna.

No thanks. As bad as here.
MurdoMac
MurdoMac
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Male Number of posts : 1647
Years experience : 30+
Clever Quote : they say that hard work never killed anyone....I say, why take a chance
Registration date : 2008-02-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Veteran Piper Thu 03 Dec 2009, 1:23 pm

MurdoMac wrote:I've only been to Toronto in the summer and it was bloody humid. Really horrible weather, like being a sauna.

No thanks. As bad as here.

Yes, late August is a cooker, but the ladies wear even less! Want to move in Scotland - Page 3 Drunken_smilie
Veteran Piper
Veteran Piper
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Glyn_Mo Mon 08 Feb 2010, 10:05 am

Mini-Piper wrote:I live 10 miles away from the Invershnecky (local slang name, usually used as a playful tease to the accent of the locals, lol) and it's a nice city. No idea why you would think the climate is similar to alaska though. It's either normal weather (no sun, just cloud and usually about 8-10 degrees celsius) or rain. Nothing else. No snow whatsoever. If it ever snows, it melts in the air, or if you're lucky enough, it will hit the ground and melt instantly. It's still a great place to live, but I agree, for a Scottish CITY I've found that foreigners aren't expecting it and get a pretty massive culture shock. Although everyone is generally friendly, during the night-times, groups tend to hang around near bus-stops and things like that. Apparently, the very inner-city neighbourhoods are just chock-full of sociopaths (the inverness high school janitor burned the gym and got arrested), but other than that it's fine. I would only reccommend Scottish city life for a Scottish local, unless you are particularly looking for a massive culture shock. Yeah, just outside the city would be perfect for you.
I used to busk in Inverness around '95 and 96' before moving to Edinburgh. The first time I'd been back and got a good look around the town centre was a couple of years ago, and I was quite shocked with the changes, to be honest. The place seemed to be infested with Glaswegian junkie scumbags and there was a general air of delinquency everywhere (compared to 10 years earlier). There's a couple of people I know who stay in Inverness and they say they don't even go out for a pint in Inverness due to the amount of hassle in the town at at night. Or is this being unfair?
Glyn_Mo
Glyn_Mo

Male Number of posts : 828
Years experience : 20
Clever Quote : Eh?
Registration date : 2008-03-22

http://www.scottishbagpipers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mini-Piper Thu 18 Feb 2010, 12:46 pm

Glyn_Mo wrote:
Mini-Piper wrote:I live 10 miles away from the Invershnecky (local slang name, usually used as a playful tease to the accent of the locals, lol) and it's a nice city. No idea why you would think the climate is similar to alaska though. It's either normal weather (no sun, just cloud and usually about 8-10 degrees celsius) or rain. Nothing else. No snow whatsoever. If it ever snows, it melts in the air, or if you're lucky enough, it will hit the ground and melt instantly. It's still a great place to live, but I agree, for a Scottish CITY I've found that foreigners aren't expecting it and get a pretty massive culture shock. Although everyone is generally friendly, during the night-times, groups tend to hang around near bus-stops and things like that. Apparently, the very inner-city neighbourhoods are just chock-full of sociopaths (the inverness high school janitor burned the gym and got arrested), but other than that it's fine. I would only reccommend Scottish city life for a Scottish local, unless you are particularly looking for a massive culture shock. Yeah, just outside the city would be perfect for you.
I used to busk in Inverness around '95 and 96' before moving to Edinburgh. The first time I'd been back and got a good look around the town centre was a couple of years ago, and I was quite shocked with the changes, to be honest. The place seemed to be infested with Glaswegian junkie scumbags and there was a general air of delinquency everywhere (compared to 10 years earlier). There's a couple of people I know who stay in Inverness and they say they don't even go out for a pint in Inverness due to the amount of hassle in the town at at night. Or is this being unfair?

People are far more rough up here than they are in glasgow. In glasgow, they only tend to say something, but never act on it. You have to rush by to not get any trouble. If you reply back innocently but mockingly, you get threatened. If you don't reply you get threatened. Inverness is not the place for night life, to be honest. Bad idea. Bad atmosphere with people who have watched too many bad movies with parties.

Although, tell your mates about Hootanannys. It's a ceilidh pub. Live, traditional music. I'm not 18 so I've only ever gone with my brother, but it's easily the best place available. People are good crack and don't go to lengths to make everyone hate them.

However, I disagree that it reeks delinquency too much in the town centre, but I can see where you're coming from. People here NEVER put things in bins and it does my nut in. Since last November, if my mate ever does it I literally stand still until he picks it up (meaning that going where we are going would be pointless if I wasn't there.) But, yeah; the town centre is a bit manky and could certainly use some public cleaners.

Oh, also, families tend to be very stoic here. Seems to get worse as you go further north. In Glasgow, guys kiss their brothers and sisters and hug parents, etc. Here, the most I've ever given my sister when she came back from Glasgow was a nod. I just don't see the point in drowning them in saliva and hugs. Meh, maybe that's just the way I was brought up to think.

Anyways, it is a decent city, IF and only if you can get out of it easily. I know about 20 people who live in several different areas, schemes, conditions and all think that not being able to get away is very overpowering sometimes.

Your point is very interesting. I find myself agreeing with you; even though I live outside of it and find a trip to Inverness completely fine and hassle-free. But, then again, I don't know anyone really there that doesn't like me, so won't bump into any trouble.

Back to my original point... Buy a house about 4-11 miles outside of city center and you'll have a ball. Very Happy

Mini-piper

Mini-Piper

Back to top Go down

Post  Glyn_Mo Thu 18 Feb 2010, 1:36 pm

Mini-Piper wrote:People are far more rough up here than they are in glasgow. In glasgow, they only tend to say something, but never act on it. You have to rush by to not get any trouble. If you reply back innocently but mockingly, you get threatened. If you don't reply you get threatened. Inverness is not the place for night life, to be honest. Bad idea. Bad atmosphere with people who have watched too many bad movies with parties.
I take it you've never been around West-Central Scotland at the time of an Old Firm game then?! Even in Edinburgh, every bampot in town comes out of the woodwork. There's a sort of Old Firm full moon effect.. Want to move in Scotland - Page 3 Affraid

Although, tell your mates about Hootanannys. It's a ceilidh pub. Live, traditional music. I'm not 18 so I've only ever gone with my brother, but it's easily the best place available. People are good crack and don't go to lengths to make everyone hate them.
Aye, I've heard good reviews.

However, I disagree that it reeks delinquency too much in the town centre, but I can see where you're coming from. People here NEVER put things in bins and it does my nut in. Since last November, if my mate ever does it I literally stand still until he picks it up (meaning that going where we are going would be pointless if I wasn't there.) But, yeah; the town centre is a bit manky and could certainly use some public cleaners.
Wasn't really talking about the litter situation, more the ned situation in comparison to a few years back, though it's probably the same everywhere.

Oh, also, families tend to be very stoic here. Seems to get worse as you go further north. In Glasgow, guys kiss their brothers and sisters and hug parents, etc. Here, the most I've ever given my sister when she came back from Glasgow was a nod. I just don't see the point in drowning them in saliva and hugs. Meh, maybe that's just the way I was brought up to think.
Yup, it's the latent Free-Presbyterian in us all! Want to move in Scotland - Page 3 Lol
Glyn_Mo
Glyn_Mo

Male Number of posts : 828
Years experience : 20
Clever Quote : Eh?
Registration date : 2008-03-22

http://www.scottishbagpipers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bill Urquhart Thu 18 Feb 2010, 5:21 pm

Hootenany's is great! Good food, welcoming crowd, nice layout for entertainment, loads of fun. Wish I could swing in this weekend :)

Bill Urquhart

Back to top Go down

Post  Veteran Piper Sun 21 Feb 2010, 8:54 pm

Glyn_Mo wrote:Wasn't really talking about the litter situation, more the ned situation in comparison to a few years back, though it's probably the same everywhere.

it is the same everywhere, only in the US the Ned is known as a Red Neck, people of low IQ who don't think.
Veteran Piper
Veteran Piper
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  2hammer Tue 23 Feb 2010, 11:27 am

Veteran Piper wrote:
Glyn_Mo wrote:Wasn't really talking about the litter situation, more the ned situation in comparison to a few years back, though it's probably the same everywhere.

it is the same everywhere, only in the US the Ned is known as a Red Neck, people of low IQ who don't think.
How did your pal come tae choose such an appropriate name for himself? In fact, how did you become his pal? Birds of a feather flocking taegither, eh? Want to move in Scotland - Page 3 Suspect Want to move in Scotland - Page 3 397795

2hammer

Number of posts : 1046
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Veteran Piper Wed 24 Feb 2010, 11:44 am

2hammer wrote:
Veteran Piper wrote:

How did your pal come tae choose such an appropriate name for himself? In fact, how did you become his pal? Birds of a feather flocking taegither, eh? Want to move in Scotland - Page 3 Suspect Want to move in Scotland - Page 3 397795

wy donut cha cum duwn hear to ar neck of the wuds and say that............. Want to move in Scotland - Page 3 526678
Veteran Piper
Veteran Piper
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  noticen24 Thu 22 Jul 2010, 7:31 am

Another reason: Scottish drivers are real gentlemen